Monday, January 30, 2012

Training the brain


Hey Friends!

It's Monday that means I'm on week two of my EMT class. Now the fun stuff is going to start happening. I have an exam on Friday and I'm already feeling unprepared. Saturday I had this amazing spurt of energy after my workout so I cleaned the house for 3 hours then sat down with my pumpkin spice latte and studied for 3 hours. WOOP! WOOP! The problem is, I only read the first two chapters and I am supposed to have chapter 3 read by tonight. Oh well. By that time by brain started to shut down. It was done, I was done. Yesterday I was ready to conquer chapter 3, I sat down (without a latte) and read and it was over quickly. I reached for my work book and looked at question 1, something about lifting...what? I don't remember that! Then I realized I read the wrong chapter. Dang it! Not a bad thing, because I have to read it by Wednesday. My brain was shutting down again. So I called up a friend and we pounded the pavement for an hour and I returned refreshed and ready to go. I didn't do anything. I showered, went and got note cards and a latte then headed back and started my note cards. Chapter 3 never got read.

Here's where I need your help. Do any of you have any tricks on training my brain to absorb some info. Seriously, I'm trying to figure out how not to rely on my lattes to study. Do I need to eat some brain food? I slept a lot this weekend and that helped but I'm getting dull headaches in the afternoon. I've been pounding the water...still not helping. Now I'm reaching out for some suggestions/guidance. I don't want to feel defeated because I think I'm smart enough...I think?

Let me know your ideas.

Thanks and have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. I know those textbooks are huge but if you can photocopy your reading for the Chapter, hit the gym and hit the Elliptical, put it in front of you. I have been reading on there while working out and I swear I totally zone in on what I am reading, I am awake, get a lot read plus a workout! KLO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy,
      I have a hard time reading while exercising, it makes me a tad bit sick. Maybe if I biked that would be better. I'll try it!

      Delete
  2. I make flash cards, don't cram before a test, eat a decent breakfast the mornings of test with something that wakes you up, but not like makes you so full you're going to pass out. I also read over my notes the morning of the exams, but nothing more. I don't like people quizzing me because it makes me feel rushed and stupid, lol. Hope these help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Those help me too, I just have lots of them to make...tomorrow's the big test so we'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. You are DEFINITELY smart enough! I think the best thing you can do for your brain is get plenty of sleep, eat well throughout the day, and keep up the exercising! When you exercise, your brain has time to sort everything out!

    Oh, and maybe remove every single sort of distraction when you're studying. Such as, studying in a room with no TV or computer, and leaving your cell phone on silent in another room. I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete