Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The babies are coming...in full force!

I've made to January 9th without having to say goodbye to Lane in the night time. This uncommon weather that most of the US is experiencing has been a slight blessing for Lane and I. Usually this time of year is so cold you get snotcicles if you're outside for more than 20.3 seconds. Due to this extreme cold, Lane is REQUIRED to stay at the farm all night to tend to the babies that are born. He usually has 5 minutes from time the calf is dropped (aka birthed) to get it in the barn under the heat lamp before it freezes to the ground and goes to the land of green grass and no predators. This year has been completely different. There have been roughly 50 calves born already and there hasn't been any need to stay at the farm during the night. I was told that Sunday night brought 5 calves! That's a lot in one night and then I knew the time had come. Lanes new work hours are 11pm until 8 or 9am. Ugh... before he left last night, I made sure that Carlos the 9mm was close by. I'm prepared for any a-hole who might think it's a good idea to enter my house uninvited. So from now until boss man says, Lane will be pulling some long hours and I'll be missing him MUCHO!

On the other hand, I can't wait for my cows to have their babies. Abby has calved and this year she had twins! Thelma and Louise. They are super cute little heifers that just love running and jumping. The two pictures I have of the twins aren't very good so I need to go take some more. Sad to say we think Beyonce lost her calf. She was really sick when she got back from the mountains and she's still trying to get better. I guess we'll find out some time soon....

I promise to entertain you with more baby pictures as they come along.

Have a great Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to see more pics of the babies! I still have 2.5 months until ours come!

    ReplyDelete