Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Wowza...this is going to be tough!

Yesterday when I woke up singing "First day of school! First day of school!" I picked out a nicer shirt that I would usually wear and made my hair look semi presentable. (Then I went to the gym and ruined any chance of looking fly.) All day I was fighting nerves and excitement in preparation for my class to start. The challenging part was around 3:00, I started to crash. I was super tired, how am I supposed to make it until 10pm trying to learn?!

Then it started snowing and I had a new found faith that winter was here. (That's random but very important.)

Let's get to the good stuff...I want to tell you about my first day of school. For those of you who didn't read my previous post, I am taking a huge leap into the world in hopes of becoming an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Crazy right? I think so! I show up and definitely felt a little rusty because I got lost on campus. Haha! This campus has 5 buildings and I couldn't find mine. Silly me. When I finally found the correct building I walked into the class room and it has a funky smell. I don't really know what it is but we're in the lab section where they work with radioactive materials. Just when I thought I'd have a break from my job, there's the trifoil.

Moving forward, on the desk was the stack of joy that we get to study throughout the class. One VERY THICK text book, one work book, a CPR mask, and a blood pressure cuff. The cuff is not in the picture because it's at home. The book was intimidating enough then I got the syllabus. Friends, for the next 5 months my life is going to be busy. I am going to learn how to balance everything. I can't forget my health, my job, and more importantly Lane.

The key to this class is to stay on top of all the reading and practice, practice, practice! I'm have to be present for 90% of the lectures but have 100% of the workbook completed. All exams, I have to get a 70% or higher.

Here's some highlights during the lecture:
*We were told, we better like touching people and if you don't, this is the wrong profession
*There are children enrolled. One of the DOB's was 1991!
*One of our teachers is the county coroner, he shared some interesting stories
*He also shared this video going over the stages of death and dying
*Our pop quiz questions for candy (PQQC) included:
-how many stages are there for birth
-systolic and diastolic blood pressure
-stoke stuff
*How H1N1 isn't bad but still considered a communicable disease (watch out sissy-poo!)

Overall, it was an interesting class. We went a little after 10 but it seems that's how it'll be some nights. Wednesday we'll be taking our advanced CPR training then moving forward from there.

Tonight, I only have to read around 40 pages. Not bad, not bad! As the course progresses, I'll be happy to share with you the bloody stuff but I probably won't. I don't want to lose any of my readers.

Until next time, have a safe and happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment