Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolution

I often think that New Years Resolutions are pointless. Every year people vow to lose weight, spend more time with family, go on a vacation, etc. I assume by the end of January, most people have forgot what they were hoping to accomplish by the end of the year. Personally, I have never really enjoyed making a resolution because I know it won't happen. I have posted my winter goals and I can consider that a small resolution list but nothing that I need to feel forced to complete. As I get older, I have come to realize that I have some major life changes ahead of me. Marriage, children, a home, more bills to pay and a new car. Considering these things, I will need a vast amount of money to cover the costs. Due to my "wise" choice to get a degree in HORSES, I am now regretting my 5+ years of college due to the MASSIVE amounts of student loans I'm paying off. It's like having a mortgage payment every month and only a 5x7 piece of paper showing I finished college. What's the point of this entire rant session about bills? It's my 2011 resolution...LIVE ON RICE AND BEANS AND BEANS AND RICE! What does this mean? I am re-kindling my relationship with Dave Ramsey. It's a frequent conversation with my sister asking if Dave and I are still dating and I always reply with the fact that Dave and I are fighting. Dave Ramsey is the author of "The Total Money Makeover" a great book about revising your spending habits to maximize the money you make in order to pay off your debt faster thus allowing yourself the opportunity to become debt free sooner than you expected. I have a lot of debt and there is no way I can get it paid off in a year or even two, but it doesn't mean that I can't make better choices on where my money is going. I am going to forfeit trips in order to save money along with following my budget. I have always been bad with money and I predict there will be some issues but I really am going to try this time! Really! I want to be prepared to go into a marriage with as little debt as possible (not that it'll be too little, I can't push away the debt that fast.) I want to make sure that I have my own finances under control before I merge them with my spouse. I may not be able to get those shoes I want or it just might take me 3 months to save for them but in the end, that's more money I'm applying to my debt. I encourage you all to check out Dave's website and get some great tips on how to successfully become debt free. Also, good luck with your resolutions!
Happy 2011!!

1 comment: