Friday, January 14, 2011

Moments

Things happen in your life that will spike your heart rate just enough to make your head spin and hands shake. It is how we react to these moments that allows us to gain the upper hand in how we will make the best of the situation.

I don't know how to explain the feeling I got during this situation. I am still wondering if I was dreaming or this really happened. I was just did what I could to help and thankfully had others around. Last Thursday night, for the first time in my life, I saw a man practically die! I was with my friend at the gym enjoying a nice gallivant on the treadmill while watching Grey's Anatomy. All of a sudden, my friend said, I think someone just fell off a machine. Here's my first thought: I would never want to fall off a exercise machine without having someone there to help me up. Lord knows it would be embarrassing to anyone. So, I jumped off my treadmill and ran over. Only to find a man bleeding from his head, looking as if he was having a seizure. I grabbed his head, stabilized his neck and started tell "J" to stay with us and keep his eyes open. Shortly after, "J's" eyes started closing, I checked for a pulse on his arm and neck and realized there was none. I told some people to pull him back because his head almost off the ledge. They pulled him back and I started compressions. That's right, I had to preform CPR on this man. Thankfully, about twenty compressions in, another woman ran over who was a nurse and asked if she could take over. I let her do that and continued to help in any way possible. It was so surreal! They used the AED on him multiple times and continued compressions until EMS arrived.During this time his face turned gray and his body went limp. I had so many emotions fill my body that I was numb from everything that was going on around me. Thankfully, they were able to get a pulse back and transport him to the hospital. I didn't know if he survived until the next day when I went back to the gym and found out he had a massive heart attack but at midnight he was in stable condition. Basically this moment has changed my life. I view death differently, I added value to life, I love more and want less. From this point forward, I know that people are put into your life for a reason. These people save your life every day, even if you don't recognize it. So for all of you, thank you for saving my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment