Monday, January 24, 2011

Here's my BEEF

Let me be honest with you, I've never had a steak in my life. Are you in shock? Most people are and from what I've heard, "I'm really missing out." There is nothing desirable about a slab o' beef. The way I see it, I'm not hurting anyone or claiming it's cruel to the cow. It's just mine own little phobia with the red meat. I never really ate large chucks of meat as a child, I guess we had roast and stew sometimes, but only steak on birthdays. I was the lone wolf enjoying a moist chicken breast. I have my days that I can muster the strength to eat some ground beef but I find it very difficult to cook with it. An added benefit to having a farm boy in my life, we get free ground beef. Fresh and I know what this cow has eaten so no hormones or other wishy washy nasties injected to "enhance" the flavor. (Gag) However there is a downfall to this beef, it is EXTREMELY rich and bloody. I have not cooked with beef in a very long time due to 1. not liking it and 2. ground turkey is healthier. As requested by Shayne, he wanted some medley for dinner the other night and I decided to make if for him. After all, he's been subjected to random foods such as couscous and whole wheat tortillas. This man is a typical white bread, meat and potatoes kind of guy so I give him credit for hanging in there with my new cooking style. I should have known it was going to be a bad night with the beef when I was putting it in the pan and there was a lot of blood coming out. VOMIT! Again, I gagged because...well....YUCK! I cooked it anyways and then noticed there was a large amount of beef in this pan. Ooops, I should have only used half of it. After finishing the medley I decided to dish myself up a bowl. Again, I should have had left overs because even the smell was making me sick. Oh well, down the hatch it went. Man oh man my friends, that beef and my stomach did not form a relationship. If I could compare it to The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, my stomach is Kyle and the beef is Camille. As fake as Camille is, Kyle was honest and called her out thus causing a ruckus in my mid section. I thought if I worked out things would work themselves out. HA! That was a joke! I went home and ate some tums hoping to calm the situation, then hit the sack. It's been two days and I tell you what, this fight is still dwindling. For crying out loud beef, can't you just leave me alone? Needless to say, I will not be eating beef for a very long time. Shayne is just going to have to learn to love the turkey!

P.S. I asked Shayne to take the remaining pound o' medley to work yesterday and when I came home last night, the empty container was in the sink. Pardon my pun here but HOLY COW! This boy truly was deprived of his beef.

2 comments:

  1. HA! Love the Real Housewives reference. I love beef, but that said, over the last few years I've noticed that it doesn't sit well in my stomach. Well-cooked beef does better, but still, I'm usually in need of a bathroom within a half an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job on the Housewives reference friend :) Maybe there was too much fat in the beef? I know that usually doesn't sit well with me either, and we eat beef all the time.

    ReplyDelete