Thursday, January 20, 2011

Compromising positions

In the TV series Friends, Phoebe tries to seduce Chandler by telling him saying "I've very bendy!" It always makes me laugh but I am well aware that not all of us are "bendy." When I first started working out, I did a sit and reach test where I honestly sat down and leaned forward. The trainer said "now reach." I was reaching! He blamed it on my mid-section. Well, I've lost a lot of that mid-section but for some reason I still can't touch my toes. I've tried yoga and that was a HUGE mistake. I think I should have brought a hidden camera because this girl and those positions did not mesh. I was good at three poses: child's pose, corps, and downward facing dog. Anything else that required balancing on one leg while trying to lick you elbow, you can forget about it! There were multiple times during this "meditation period" that I almost burst out laughing. The worst part? We were in the front row, no laughing allowed. That was the last time I attended a yoga class. However, it was not the last time my body was put in these unflattering positions. Yesterday was one of those defining moments where we were asked to do the inch worm across the floor. This exercise seems to enhance every piece of extra skin or ounce/pound of fat you have on your body. I am now aware that my knees could use some toning or maybe a knee tuck, my mid section is still restricting my ability to inch my legs closer. Big people should not be doing this move. It's embarrassing to try and who knows what I look like but I'm 100% positive I'd laugh at me. Oh wait, I do laugh at myself. I'm thinking that as the pounds continue to come off, maybe I will be able to be more flexible and look a little more graceful during my workouts. For now, I guess I'll continue to be the fish out of water, flopping around looking to find my way back home.

4 comments:

  1. someday maybe i can afford a class like this...although i might hate it i'll still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend...I burst into laughter when I read the Phoebe part because that episode was just on! I love that show! No worries...the everest known as the sit and reach will be conquered! However, I do think we should Yoga again...I haven't laughed that hard in awhile!! Ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more you do yoga, the more bendy you'll get! Keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god I've been trying to do yoga, really I've been TRYING, and I'm just so very unbendy. Or balanced. I look around at the crazy people doing headstands around me, and I can't even do a backbend, and think, "what in the blue F am I doing here?!"

    The worst part, for someone used to high-intensity workouts, is that the next day I'm SORE. From YOGA. Mostly from BENDING in YOGA. Gah.

    ReplyDelete