Sunday, December 19, 2010

O Tannenbaum

Does every one remember their Christmas pageants growing up? I attended a Christmas concert at a friend’s church last night that was so beautiful. There was this square tree on stage that was really tall and awkward. Little did I know, the choir actually stood around the tree all the way up to the top where an angel arose. I don’t think that’s a good explanation of what it looked like but it sure was beautiful. Attending this concert caused me to remember some of my pageants that I was a part of throughout the years. I hate to disclose some of this embarrassing information, although we all need a good laugh every now and then. To be honest, I wish I had pictures but I think my parents didn’t bring a camera for a reason.

This one isn’t embarrassing but I do remember one pageant in grade school where we got up and sang your tradition school songs. Ahhh the turtle necks and leggings! Usually my mom let me wear one of her necklaces to add some extra flare to my outfit. Even a Santa hat if I was lucky!

I also recall a few and then wish I didn’t remember some. For example the year I had to dress as a sheep and my friend and I were forced to stay in our own area because we would get our wool all over everyone. Yep, spray glue and tones of cotton, some black tights and ta-da! That year happens to be my mom’s favorite pageant. To this day, I fully regret raising my hand and volunteering to be a sheep in the nativity scene.
I like to sing but I would never try out for American Idol or even volunteer for a solo. Oh wait, I was in a trio for a Church concert once. Thus brings my second embarrassing moment in Christmas pageants. I have two friends who are very good at singing so I guess I was paired with them because they could drown me out? The song of choice? Little Drummer Boy! I am rolling my eyes right now in shame of what I put that poor audience though. To think that they wanted to harmonize during the song only makes the situation worse. Why did I do that? Every time I hear that song, chills go up my spine. I think that program was memorable for a lot of people because of my singing abilities. Or lack thereof!

Those are only a few examples but they are forever engraved in my brain and I look forward to attending my kids Christmas programs. Don’t fret, I’ll be bringing my video camera and I’m going to be “that mom.”

I found this video and I love it! I hope you enjoy it as well!

1 comment: