Monday, June 14, 2010

Will I adapt?

At the end of this month, it'll be my three year anniversary for living in Idaho. Each day I'm reminded that things are so different down here. Here are some issues that I have yet to adapt to.

1. Everything is closed on Sunday.
2. I'm 26 and not married with children, thus I am shunned.
3. I don't belong to a Ward, thus I am shunned.
4. I live with my boyfriend *that's out of wedlock*, thus I am shunned.
5. I wear tank tops to funerals, thus I am shunned.
6. I have tattoos, thus I am shunned.
7. I drink, thus I am shunned.
8. Holiday's are rearranged if they fall on a Sunday. Un-American!
9. Many people won't reach out to you if you're not in a Ward.
10. Some coffee shops don't open until 9am!
11. Funerals turn into "you're going to hell if you're not sealed"
12. Bishops are not as amazing as they think they are.
13. It's hard to make friends!

A story/example:
This weekend I attended Shayne's 10-year high school reunion. I had already accepted there would be no alcohol at the event but on the way there Shayne said "Did I tell you this is at a church?" I had a minor freak out. When we talk about churches here, they aren't your Catholic or Evangelical Churches, they are one of the millions of LDS churches in our area. When it came to introductions, Shayne was 1 of 3 people who wasn't married or had kids. I felt so bad because we were behind the times and not married. Let me remind you that I went down that road before, and I am thankful that I am not married right now. I am happy where I am and I want to be married one day, I just want to make sure it's the right time. I love the fact that Shayne doesn't care. He lives his life and loves his job. He may not be married or have a college degree, but in many eyes he's an amazing farmer. No farms, no food!

It makes me sad because I have few friends my age and it's very difficult to make friends. Shayne works 7 days a week, leaving me to myself on the weekends. I'm grateful to have Deana, Ken and Sarah in my life because they bring excitment and break up my boring weekends. I have become friends with Shayne's friends wives, and I am grateful to have them. It's hard though because they all have children and can't always come over or go out for dinner. I still miss my friends, but I guess that's part of growing up. Everyone goes their ways and we just need to make the efforts to visit each other.

I'm done venting now, sorry but I just don't think I'll ever adapt to how different things are here.

1 comment:

  1. Amen sister...sadly, it's one of the reasons we left (plus Pat getting the job in MT). I feel your frustration!

    ReplyDelete