Thursday, August 25, 2011

My emotions have got the best of me

Previously I've written about my feelings towards animals. The dang calves that are so stinkin' cute. Kittens...ponies...you name it I usually adore them. (Please subtract any loving feelings for bears and spiders. Thank you.) This spring when the calves were born, I took in much love for a few that had some issues upon birth. Unfortunately, some of them have died. Two of my favorite are still kicking and were given the chance to stay at the farm all summer. If you ask me, that's like staying at a fine hotel. Helen and Rumpelstiltskin are living it up by the river munching on grass while watching the corn grow. Well, let me rephrase that, Rumpelstiltskin can see the corn but Helen can't. Poor Helen is blind. Her mother, Maryland, wears a cow bell so Helen always knows where she is at. Shayne tells me that Helen keeps getting out of the fence and freaks out because she can't find her mother. My heart breaks for Helen. Rumpelstiltskin is a 3-legged calf. She lost her leg due to foot rot. There is nothing else wrong with her and she gets along well. I'm hoping that her and Helen have developed a strong bond. Now, why are my emotions getting the best of me? Honestly, I love Helen. I want her to be my pet. I want to make her tame so we can pet her and she feels safe. It's getting close to the time where the calves need to be weaned. What is Helen going to do? She needs her mother, she needs to feel safe. I told Shayne's boss that if he ever plans on getting rid of her, I will buy her. Oh, Helen!
Next random emotion: I was grading some barley last night (another blog) and there was a lady bug in the sifter. I scooped it out and put it on the counter. Well Mr. Ladybug was injured, injured bad. I couldn't help but think this little bug didn't get to live to it's full potential. Okay, so now I'm going crazy.
What about the kitty kitty I feed when I house-sit? It's a barn kitty that only wants some petting. You can't pick kitty kitty up, just pet. The other day, I cut out three giant clumps of matted hair. Kitty kitty looks a lot happier. I just want to take her home but Charlie and Dee probably won't welcome her with open paws. More like open claws of death.
My hormones are off the charts. I'm not nesting, I'm not planning on having children any time soon. So what the heck? Compassion for a lady bug? I tell you what, these feelings better start to calm down. I can't save every creature that "needs to fulfill their dreams." I guess it's the circle of life. Again, I want you all to be aware if Helen dies, I will need a day of mourning.

3 comments:

  1. It's ok friend, you have a passion for animals (most of them anyways!). It's hard to not get attached to the calves since we "raise" them from when they are babies. It is sad to see some of them go when they do though :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had one rule that I have lived by in life: I judge a person on how they judge an animal. If they show compassion and love, to me, that person is as good as you can get. If they are cold and uncaring-usually there is something that is "off" about that person and I don't want to really have anything to do with them. It's okay. I see barn kitties and my heart breaks too, I wish I could take them all home. The ladybug too, would uspet me. I can however, kill grasshoppers and laugh my evil whoooo whooo ha ha ha laugh. KIMMY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmy- you will now have new feelings about me.

    Sister- people say they understand you now, but in 5 years when you are on animal hoarding don't call me!

    ReplyDelete