Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A 10pm wake up call!

Last Friday night, I wallowed in self-petty because I over ate and was bored out of my mind. Why? My boss is a hypochondriac and because Shayne was sick, I was not allowed to go to work. Sounds nice right? No, I don't do well not working when there is nothing to do. Anyways, back to the wake up call. I have befriended a lady who is also in the Ultimate Loser competition with me and we were planning on going to a movie. On her way to pick me up, she called and said everything was sold out but she had pre bought her ticket. Not a big deal, it was late and I'll just go to bed. Then she mentioned a 5k race she was participating in the next day and invited me to join her. At this point in my "training" stage, I have already accomplished the 3 mile run but wasn't planning on running a 5k until the Lewis and Clark Marathon in June. I figured it would give me enough time to be secure in my running abilities. Then all of a sudden I found myself saying "Yes, I'd love to come! What time does it start and where is it?" Oh the horror! I hung up and was baffled by the words that came out of my mouth. Straight to bed only to experience nightmares about running and random cramping in my legs. I woke up early to make sure my body was functioning and did some major stretching to insure my calves would cramp up. I arrived, paid my fees and signed my name on the dotted line. No turning back now and for goodness sakes, it's only 3.1 miles! I strapped on my iPod, tuned into Justin Bieber and was set to take off! "Ready set go!" I remember the kind words from my father "Slow and steady wins the race." Not in my case, slow and steady, yes, winning the race, no. Within the first mile I was passed by the man who was speed walking. May I mention he looked like a duck and it made me laugh. Mile two was difficult because of my side ache but I really wanted to push it through mile three. Ultimately my goal was to finish in less that 45 minutes. Seems slow I know, but the key word is FINISH. I wonder if everyone gets that burst of energy when they see the finish line? I sure did so I sprinted right on through and looked at my watch 40 minutes! Heck yes! I didn't hear my official time because Justin was singing so loud, but I just looked it up online and (drum roll please) 33 minutes and 41 seconds! YAHOO! I ranked 16th out of 39 women in my age group. Not to shabby for my first run and after I felt like a million bucks. Just kidding, but I did feel accomplished. Goal for the Lewis and Clark: less than 30 minutes!

1 comment:

  1. Good job friend! SO PROUD of you!!!! You're helping to inspire me to run/walk too...but we just don't have marathons here. I've got a ways to go before I get to that level anyways. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete